Time Machine not working on NAS in OSX Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kappaknight, Jul 12, 2011.

1. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I just loaded the GM version of OSX Lion and it seems like something has changed in AFP requirements that I am no longer able to use the Synology DS1511+ as a backup drive. Anyone else experience this with their NAS backup drives? This setup has worked under Snow Leopard and I don't think I have changed any settings on the NAS.

[​IMG]

2. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Interesting...this could be a Lion deal breaker for me - at least until I can save up my rupees for a Time capsule...

Please let us know if you can get it working!!!

3. tu4thenguyen macrumors member

maybe this is one of the many things that the soon to release Lion will fix? *cross fingers* :mad:

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

From my understanding Apple is only supporting the latest version of netatalk on Lion. NAS makers will have to upgrade their devices to support the change.

5. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

I am still a bit of a NAS newbie..could you be so kind as to explain what netatalk is? And just as importantly, do you think that I will likely see compatibility between Lion and a WD TV Live in the near future?

Many thanks!

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

Netatalk is an open source AFP server basically, it’s how NAS can communicate with Apple’s protocols for Time Machine and other tasks like file sharing, iTunes and so on.

Lion use the latest AFP 3.3 protocols that are only available in the Netatalk 2.2 version, many NAS devices are on 2.0-2.1 right now.

Synology plans to upgrade to Netatalk 2.2 in the next DSM release, 3.2. The latest rumors are that DSM 3.2 Beta is expected to be released on July 19th.

7. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yeah, I just got a reply from them today as well - they don't have an estimated date, but they are working on the next version of DSM, which is good news. Hopefully it won't take too long though. A week w/o backing up could be huge for some, especially just after upgrading their OS.

Also, for those of you that upgraded to Lion, did you also notice a bunch of updates today from Software Update? iDVD, iPhoto, iWeb, GarageBand, Aperture, etc.

8. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Thanks so much.
    If anyone in the future is looking for information re: updates for the WD TV LIVE, follow this URL:
    http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/OSX-Lion-DP4-amp-Time-Machine-Error/td-p/204182

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Oops, that's a bit scary ... Is this specific to TM or is also regular AFP impacted ?

I use AFP to map devices from my NAS into iMac. But use regular backup / shell script. I don't use TM anymore.

Anyone experience with AFP under LION with regular file sharing ?

10. mgasp56 macrumors newbie

netatalk

When the update is released how is it installed? I downloaded the beta version of netatalk 2.2 and expanded it, but was kinda lost from that point so I just stopped what I was doing.

Would be nice just to get a software update that fixes the issue!

11. Yoel macrumors newbie

12. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Netgear/Infrant have issued new firmware for the x86-based ReadyNAS units and there is a beta for the SPARC-based ReadyNAS units.