Time machine not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nitro1, May 14, 2009.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I am trying to set up my external HD with my Airport extreme and make it as my time machine so it will back up without me having to connect the HD every time. I tried this and the HD does not appear so i can select it and choose it for the Time machine Drive of choice. What do i do. I have seen others can do this but i do not know why i am unable. Please help.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Is your external formatted HFS+?
    Is it being shared in the Disks section of AirPort Utility?

3. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not know if it is formatted to the HFS, but when i connect the HD to the router i can see it on my Finder side bar. so i am assuming it is on the disk utility.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

Can you use the external for Time Machine if you connect it directly to your Mac? If you can, then it's properly formatted. If not, then you have to use Disk Utility to format it HFS+ while connected to your Mac.

Some users have had success in starting a Time Machine backup while connected directly, and stopping the backup. This creates some files on the hard drive that identify it as being compatible with Time Machine, so that when it is hooked up to the AEBS, it will be selectable as a Time Machine drive.

5. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it has already been used to back up but i will try it again tonight. I will back up then i will connect to the AE and see if it will come up on the time machine menu for compatible backups.