Time Machine now SuperDuper!, having no luck with backups..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by parkie, Nov 24, 2008.

1. parkie macrumors member

I've been using Time Machine as my backup solution for about a month, I had some issues with permissions on my main drive so I decided to do a full restore from backup via install disc and my Time Machine drive but every time I tried it it froze at some point or another during the process. Now for SuperDuper!, I made an image of my Leopard installation partition and for a test tried to restore it to a spare drive through leopard install disk - disk utility and that stopped at about 26% in. What's going on??? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the computer as I'm using it now without a problem, what do you do? What am I doing wrong? advice needed.

p

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Restoring if to a different drive, could be what's changing things, and causing to to hang. If memory serves, you can look into a time machine back up and take individual files out, then restore them only, such as settings.

3. parkie thread starter macrumors member

well how do you do it if you upgrade to a bigger hard drive or something?

p

4. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

You got me on that one. I plan to update my drive in Feb. So no experience yet on that one. I have used TM and done the drag file aspect before, and both worked fine.

5. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

You're not supposed to use a leopard install disk, nor disk utility. So, you made an image of your installation partition (i suppose on an external disk). Boot from that image instead of the original (at startup, hold the option-alt button untill you see a menu with choices from which device you want to boot from, and choose your external) and open up superduper, and do the exact same procedure you did when backed up but now cloning the backup image to the internal hdd you want.