Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slogrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
Hello all

I’ve searched the internet without any success, so now I turn to you gurus for help.

I run a small network only consisting macs. Every mac have time machine set up to backup to a NAS Synology server, which means there is a user registered to each mac on the server.

I’m about to upgrade two users with new MacBook airs, and I don’t want to set these macs up with a four year old time machine backup filled to the edge with old files and what not.
However, I still want to set up time machine on the same username.

So, the big question is: If I create a new time machine backup on the same username that back up the old mac on this new MacBook air, will the old backups be deleted?
Or will the backup-line continue?

I am too afraid to just try it out and see what happens because, you know; I’m guessing there is no turning back once these files get overwritten.

Thanks in advance,
- Sig

Wirbowsky

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2010
Belgium
I suppose that for each user Time Machine creates a bundle with the name of the Mac. So, I suppose that if the new Macs have different names, you will not overwrite the other time machines backups.

Slogrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
hmm

Do you know what would happen if I did this on the same mac?
A couple of weeks ago I formatted a mac and re-installed everything due to slowness. I did not dare take the risk so I made a new user just in case.

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
i know when I did a reformat and didn't set up from a backup, time machine just created a new sparsebundle And i used the same username and everything

for example

MacBook Pro (original file)
MacBook Pro 1 (new file after reformat)

Slogrun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2015
The results

You guys where right!

I just went ahead and did a Time Machine backup on this new MacBook Air, and a new bundle appeared on my NAS server. Nothing got overwritten.

Thanks! :D

Ex.png

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
The issue of "proof in the pudding" will be when you attempt a restore. I'm truly hoping the best for you and your backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.