Time machine on external hard drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rachieb24, Feb 25, 2012.

1. rachieb24 macrumors newbie

HI,

I've got a 1TB samsung external hard drive set for Time machine for my Imac(Lion) No longer allowing update of Time machine as says set for read only. Been into options etc and cant seem to change it and can also see some files on the hard drive that I'd like to remove as no longer needed but can't delete them as not allowed to. Still got 190GB available.

Nervous now as to what to do about the two separate issues.

any help would be appreciated!

2. tbarney macrumors member

I found the only way to write to an external drive is to format the drive with the MAC. I formated mine with FAT32 so I can use the drive with a PC as well. If the drive is already formated FAT32 then I'm not sure how to fix your issue.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I'm not entirely sure, but I do believe that Time Machine will only backup to HFS+.

If you want to share the drive between a PC and Mac, I typically partition the drive into two parts. I format one to HFS+ for backups and the other to NTFS and install Paragon or another NTFS enabler for Mac.

Windows will natively read and write on the NTFS drive, and the enabler will allow the Mac to read and write as well.