time machine on external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carjakester, Oct 28, 2013.

1. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

so i just got my new macbook today, and i was looking at the time machine and clicked on my external hard drive and saw that it wanted to erase everything on it and i thought i clicked no but i clicked start and didn't want to lose anything so it started for about 5 seconds until i pulled it out and now neither my pc or mac will recognize my hard drive, any idea on how to get back my information?

2. 1458279 Suspended

Most likely, most of the data is still there. In order for the data to be gone, it has to be zeroed or written over. You'd have to inspect the drive some other way in order to see what has been written over.

Id be surprised if TM actually zeroed everything out. Must likely it started by setting up the format that's used by TM and started backing up data.

You might be able to view the drive contents with something from the Linux world, they probably have a tool of some kind.

Otherwise, you can have a pro look at it and see what's recoverable.

It's really an issue of how important the information on the drive is.

It's probably worth looking into software that reads formatted drives.

From a Google search: "Formatted drive recovery software"

http://www.yodot.com/hard-drive-recovery/to-recover-data-from-formatted-partition.html

http://www.wondershare.net/ad/data-recovery/?gclid=CPvCkpWvu7oCFURp7Aod8gwAYA

Note: I haven't used any of these before, but you might call their tech support and see if it can work for this.

Law enforcement uses these kinda tools all the time, so they are out there, just gotta find which one works.

3. carjakester thread starter macrumors 68020

carjakester

i tried both of those programs but neither could work due to both of my computers not recognizing my external hard drive.