Time Machine on Public Network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by myrdog, Mar 9, 2010.

1. myrdog macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm on a really slow internet connection when Im on my campus vs at home. My computer trying to backup Time Machine incessantly has been going on long enough. It slows things to a crawl: I need a solution. Is there a way to tell Time Machine to screw off trying to find my Time Capsule when I'm not at home? You'd think this would be a very simple thing to implement, but a google search and a search of the forums has turned up nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I installed a program called (I think) Time Machine Scheduler. It allows you easily to set times for backups, instead of hourly. So you could set it to backup only at night.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

Is something else going on here? You said it keeps searching for your Time Capsule...with it not even on the school network...correct?

My wife attaches an external to her MacBook when she wants to do a TM update. But when it's not attached. TM just doesn't run. It doesn't keep bugging her and looking for the missing drive. It will run again and do a backup when she reattaches the drive.

Does TM with a TC operate differently?

5. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

TM will use the network to try and find the TC or other network backup device.

Mine does this when I am on other networks but times out after a few seconds but changes to an exclamation sign. Does it not do this?

6. myrdog thread starter macrumors newbie

It does the exclamation mark thing. After about 10 minutes of searching. Going into the drop down menu and selecting "Stop Backing Up" does nothing either. I've found lately more and more "stop" buttons on my computer and the iPhone tend to be "cancel after we drag this on for another minute or so" buttons. I guess turning TM off is an option, it would just be nice if there was a more transparent way to deal with this.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What is more transparent than turning it off?

8. myrdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Having something do it for you when it detects you aren't on the home network. I consider that more transparent then having to do it myself. I'm looking into a few options, I'll post back once I have things setup cleanly.