Time Machine on Snow Leopard uses all space for one month...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by movermichael, May 2, 2010.

1. movermichael macrumors newbie

movermichael

(Appox) I tried to use the search function b4 i posted this, in case my answer was here, but no matter how i formated the criteria(time machine/time+machine/time_machine) it searched as two words (time,machine) and did'nt display any usable info even then. ( i'll study the instructions better next time.) my Maxtor 300gb drive thats connected to my imac w/ snow lep. worked ok under Leopard, did'nt use excessive space ( i used a util 'Time Machine Editor' to limit to one backup a day. but around the time i installed S.L. (not sure if it started eating bytes when i installed or soon after), i could get only about one or two months out of it b4 it filled up. i re-formatted it (mac os extended journaled, same as b4) in feb 2010, ,but now is displays only aprin 1 to present, and says 13.87gb free. any ideas? PS i moved from PC to mac 3 years ago, so im no expert, but i can defend myself, as my girl says re: her cooking skills...mike...

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much data you have in your internal drive?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use MRoogle to search these forums, as it is quite an excellent tool in doing so.
    http://mroogle.*************/

Btw, how big is your internal HDD and how much of it is in use?

4. movermichael thread starter macrumors newbie

movermichael

its a 320, and 20gb is free. but this happens even if i have 60 to 100 gb free ( 2ghz 20" imac 3gb ram,320 gb HDD, vintage 2007 or 2008.)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It backs up all files that have been changed so if you now have 300GB, it'll back up everything and if you then delete stuff, it'll still have the stuff in the backup what you used to have

6. movermichael thread starter macrumors newbie

movermichael

thanks hellhammer, but the way you phrased your reply, i really cannot understand yourmeaning,,,

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Example: You have a Mac with a 200GB HDD, of which 100GB are used when you make the first backup to your external TM HDD with 300GB capacity.
    After a while, you decide to delete some files from you Mac HDD, which now has 150GB of 200GB free. But the TM HDD still has the files you deleted backed up.
    Now you get or create new files, which amount to 50GB (so 100GB out of 200GB is used on your Mac HDD), those files get backed up to the TM HDD. Now the TM HDD has 50GB more data stored on it, so the previous 100GB plus the new 50GB amount to 150GB on you TM HDD.