Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Bulldog VII

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Hi all

I run ML & have an external HD for time machine

I was wondering if I can change the format off time machine to only back up once a day at say 3am instead of the hourly it presently does

The problem I have is when it does it's back up my imac virtually comes to a standstill & it's so annoying

I can't see how to change the settings for TM

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
If your computer comes to a stand still

when TM does an incremental back up something is almost certainly going wrong in your set up. This problem has been a issue for me in the past using similar incremental back up systems in windows, but since I switched and set up my mac system I have zero problems with slowness during increment back ups. In fact, I am completely unaware that the incremental backups are happening while I am working. You might want to spend a little time and try to find out why you are having the problem and correct it rather than doing a work around. Incremental back ups are very nice to have.

Comment

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I would also urge you to dig a bit deeper and find out what the problem is. Sure, the initial backup was a killer, but since then I don't even notice when my backups occur. It has zero effect on my MBP's performance, even while gaming.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.