Time machine & one daily back up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bulldog VII, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Hi all

I run ML & have an external HD for time machine

I was wondering if I can change the format off time machine to only back up once a day at say 3am instead of the hourly it presently does

The problem I have is when it does it's back up my imac virtually comes to a standstill & it's so annoying

I can't see how to change the settings for TM

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

2. Bulldog VII thread starter macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

3. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

If your computer comes to a stand still

when TM does an incremental back up something is almost certainly going wrong in your set up. This problem has been a issue for me in the past using similar incremental back up systems in windows, but since I switched and set up my mac system I have zero problems with slowness during increment back ups. In fact, I am completely unaware that the incremental backups are happening while I am working. You might want to spend a little time and try to find out why you are having the problem and correct it rather than doing a work around. Incremental back ups are very nice to have.

4. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I would also urge you to dig a bit deeper and find out what the problem is. Sure, the initial backup was a killer, but since then I don't even notice when my backups occur. It has zero effect on my MBP's performance, even while gaming.