Time machine - one mac - two accounts

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by majkom, Nov 7, 2014.

1. majkom macrumors 65816

Hi, I do plan to use time machine backups on my mac mini - there will be 2 accounts (one admin, one user) - how to set up time machine? Is it enough to set it up for admin account and it will back up whole mac? or for every account i have to set up its own time machine? and if so, in case of restoring, each account have to be restored separately? I am bit confused how it works, any help (even longer discussion about how it works) is really welcome:)

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It's a backup of the computer, not a backup of an account. If you're using Time Machine to restore a hard drive, you just start the restore and walk away. Time Machine does allow you to exclude things from the backup, but the default is to include.

Time Machine also allows you to selectively restore data (such as an accidentally deleted document or folder, or a previous version of a document). That's done by opening Time Machine while logged into an account. In that case, you're working in a Finder window, and would be able to access whatever that account's privileges normally allow (as an admin, I can go into all the User folders on the HD).