Time machine or airport extreme with usb hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deanven, Jun 25, 2009.

1. deanven macrumors newbie

Is there a reason i should go with time machine over airport extreme with a usb hard drive pluged in?

thanks

2. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

Time capsule: if you are cramped for space (to fit an Airport Extreme + external hard drive), dont have an extra power wall plug to fit 2 devices (Time capsule=1plug, Airport + external HDD = 2?), or just the fact that 1 device looks nicer?

Otherwise, for $299 for a 500GB Time Capsule you can get a $179 Airport Extreme + $99 (or less with sales) 1TB External Hard Drive = $278. Cheaper than Time capsule yet double the space.

3. deanven thread starter macrumors newbie

So there is no real difference in functionality?

4. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

airport disk isn't even supported by apple. while it may work, the time capsule is significantly more stable than a hard drive to an aebs. then again, i don't see how it wouldn't work. if u must, go for the hard drive attached to the aebs. personally, i use the aebs for all the computers of my house, but have my own usb western digital mybook. because im selfish >:)

5. deanven thread starter macrumors newbie

I was worried about the stability. I've had problems in the past with storing my music on external hard drives connected through usb.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I have 3TB's of external storage hooked up to my AEBS:D