Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qwimjim, Jan 20, 2011.

1. qwimjim macrumors regular

While Time Machine is neat, I need a backup tool that doesn't back things up into a single file, I need to be able to browse my backup drive when I connect it to another Mac. I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and it's great, I select what drives or folders I want backed up and it copies everything over. It copies over new files, overwrites files that have been modified, and deletes files on the backup drive that are no longer present on the source drive. However it's completely automatic, I'd like a similar app but with the option of seeing a list of exactly what files are going to be overwritten or deleted. Does anyone know of such a thing? If I accidentally delete a file on my computer without realizing it, it would automatically get deleted on the backup drive the next time I do a backup. But not if there was a prompt showing me which files were going to be deleted, I would see my mistake.

Thanks!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner and it's great, I select what drives or folders I want backed up and it copies everything over. It copies over new files, overwrites files that have been modified, and deletes files on the backup drive that are no longer present on the source drive. However it's completely automatic, I'd like a similar app but with the option of seeing a list of exactly what files are going to be overwritten or deleted. Does anyone know of such a thing?"

Yup.

It's called "CarbonCopyCloner".

The "control" you want is there.

All you have to do is set up CCC to do what you wish.

It's "in there". Just start exploring the options.

I don't think you're going to find anything that does the job better. And the price is right, too.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

If there is some reason you don't want to use CarbonCopyCloner you can use the rsync command, which is part of the OS installation.

If you still want a GUI with lots of control, look at Chronosync. It seems to be the most flexible thing out there.

4. qwimjim thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I'm blind but I'm not seeing the option to prompt me with a list of file changes before confirming a run. If you could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You realize that what looks like a single file is actually just a bundle? you can browse inside a Time Machine backup. (EDIT: there are even third party tools to give you a nicer interface for that http://www.tri-edre.fr/english/backintime.html).

Another option is SuperDuper. http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper

B

6. qwimjim thread starter macrumors regular

No I didn't realize I could browse a Time Machine backup, I thought you could only access the backup via time machine and not finder.

Regarding CCC, I found the option :) If you select incremental backup an option to "archive modified and deleted items" appears with the explanation: Deleted items and the earlier version of modified files will be archived on the target in a time-stamped folder.

It's not quite was I was looking for but the end result is the same, prevents accidental loss of files.