Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dingo Dave 69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I Recently upgraded my macbook hard drive to a 500GB drive. Now I need some help when it comes to backups.

I currently have a spare 500GB drive that I can use as a backup device. However, I want to have one backup as a Superduper clone and I want to use another drive for time machine. I was planning on buying another external drive for time machine but I have been offered a 500GB Time machine drive at a good price.

As far as I know, my router is tied in with my internet provider so I do not think I could use the time machine capsule as a router. Is there any benefit to buying it if I am not using it as a router? Does it do anything else that a standard external drive couldn't? Also, my router is in my living room, would it be possible to have a time machine capsule in my bedroom and backup to it wirelessly?

Any help would be appreciated guys.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
You don't need a time capsule if you aren't using the router portion. You also don't really need a super duper backup in addition to a TM backup. All of the files are accessible in the TM directories, even if you aren't running the TM application. The only benefit of a superduper backup is that you can boot it off of another computer. But how often would you really do that?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The only benefit of a superduper backup is that you can boot it off of another computer. But how often would you really do that?

Having a bootable clone is immensely valuable
You may not do it *often*, but when you need it you will be glad to have it

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.