Time machine or external drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dingo Dave 69, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

I Recently upgraded my macbook hard drive to a 500GB drive. Now I need some help when it comes to backups.

I currently have a spare 500GB drive that I can use as a backup device. However, I want to have one backup as a Superduper clone and I want to use another drive for time machine. I was planning on buying another external drive for time machine but I have been offered a 500GB Time machine drive at a good price.

As far as I know, my router is tied in with my internet provider so I do not think I could use the time machine capsule as a router. Is there any benefit to buying it if I am not using it as a router? Does it do anything else that a standard external drive couldn't? Also, my router is in my living room, would it be possible to have a time machine capsule in my bedroom and backup to it wirelessly?

Any help would be appreciated guys.

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

You don't need a time capsule if you aren't using the router portion. You also don't really need a super duper backup in addition to a TM backup. All of the files are accessible in the TM directories, even if you aren't running the TM application. The only benefit of a superduper backup is that you can boot it off of another computer. But how often would you really do that?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Having a bootable clone is immensely valuable
    You may not do it *often*, but when you need it you will be glad to have it

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]