Time Machine or Western Digital Back up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by crowe-t, Feb 7, 2014.

1. crowe-t macrumors member

crowe-t

I've been using the software(WD Anywhere Back Up) that came with my 500 GB Western Digital external Hard Drive for a few years. It was connected to a 1st generation single 1.8GB G5 tower. The internal hard drive in the G5 was 160GB with an additional internal 320GB drive I added.

I just changed to a Mac Mini with a 320GB internal hard drive and will be picking up an external case for the 320GB drive I had in the G5. I'll need to back up both of these drives.

Will I need a much larger external hard drive if I decide to use Time Machine? Can Time Machine back up both the internal(320GB) drive and the external 320GB drive?

I was satisfied with the Western Digital back up software I was using on the G5(which was running OS 10.4) but I now have 10.6.8 on the Mini which has Time Machine.

Any ideas or help will be appreciated.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Withy a the recent stories of Mavericks debacle erasing users data I have come to conclusion that most third party manufactures don't actually code with the Mac native code native code Coca. So every OS X upgrade will be a great adventure.

Maybe you should look to cloning. Take a good look at Carbon Copy Cloner and set it up as a Schedule. This way you could actually boot to that backup.