Time Machine & other backup strategy confusion

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by juju01, Apr 8, 2008.

1. juju01 macrumors newbie

I currently have boot disk in drive bay 1, windows on a very slow noisy drive in bay 2 and planning to add a separate disk for all my data files - pictures, movies etc in bay 3.

I am confused about the way to backup the data files on the drive in bay 3 and also use time machine to backup the OS/Apps in bay 1. I am worried that I will loose all my valuable data files in case the drive in bay 3 goes down.

If I use the 4th bay as a RAID backup drive for the data on the drive in bay 3, then I have to look elsewhere for a place to backup the stuff on drive bay 1.

I am getting myself confused - can someone help me sort this out?

By the way, I also have a NAS storage drive not directly connected to the Mac, but available on the LAN. I cant use this for Time machine ( or probably dont want to)

2. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Time Machine backs up all your Mac drives, not just the boot drive.

You can see this for yourself by browsing around a Time Machine drive with Finder (once you have it set up). The first folder on the disk is called Backups.backupdb. Then inside that is a folder with your computers name. Then inside that is folders with the backup date. Then inside that is one folder for each *drive* being backed up. Then of course inside that is the actual files it is backing up.

3. juju01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does this include the Windows drive i have in bay 2?

4. aLoC macrumors 6502a

No, only the Mac drives, you will need some other solution for Windows. e.g. a normal Windows backup program.

5. overcast macrumors 6502a

No, and this also won't include things like NFS shares on other servers - say FreeBSD or Linux.

6. juju01 thread starter macrumors newbie

So no comments on what backup strategy folks are using? ......