Time Machine - Partition Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whathesaid, Sep 24, 2010.

1. whathesaid macrumors regular

Hi

I have recently purchased a new 27" imac, i am looking to use time machine to back things up.

I already had a 1TB hard drive, but when i tried to use it, it mentioned that it needed to be formatted before I could create the backup.

Can I partition the existing hard drive and use the new partition as the backup? is this possible, if so whats the best way....or would it just be best to get a new hard drive to use specifically for time machine?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

For an external HD, I think it's better to partition it if you want to use it for both time machine and extra data or a clone. time machine can share the drive, but it will evetually fill up the drive, leaving you no space for anything else. I have an external that is half time machine and half a clone backup, each in a separate partition.

4. whathesaid thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, whats the best way to partition it, is there the option to do it within Time Machine?

I've only ever done it on a windows machine!

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Partitioning is done using Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder of your Applications. There are help screens for this function; I'd consult those for step-by-step instructions. (I'm not in front of my iMac at home, so I can't be more helpful than that, unfortunately. Others can feel free to fill in the details.)

6. whathesaid thread starter macrumors regular

excellent, i figured it out in the disk utility help, thanks :D