Time Machine partitioned my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yourdream, Nov 1, 2008.

1. yourdream macrumors regular

I wanted to backup Leopard using Time Machine and it deleted my NTFS partition and created a HFS+ partition instead. I was wondering if I could reformat it back to NTFS or another partition type later on.

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Uh... Macs can't write to NTFS partitions so I highly doubt you ever had an NTFS partition. HFS+ is usually the best format to have you hard drive on. What were you trying to back up?

3. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

I had a NTFS partition before because I was using Windows. But then now when I plug my hard drive into my Mac it shows as HFS+ instead NTFS. And I was trying to back up the whole operating system. (Leopard)

4. emt1 macrumors 65816

Leopard will not install on an NTFS partition so you never had Leopard on that drive unless it was reformatted to a HFS+ prior to installation.

So it's HFS+ now. What's the problem?

5. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

I want to know if it is possible to switch back to NTFS or another format if I use my hard drive with Windows or Windows and Mac.

6. emt1 macrumors 65816

If you have to use both, FAT32 would work, but I think that using something like a USB flash drive or a network for file transfers would be a far better idea.

7. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

I see. Well, do you know how to switch to FAT32 then?

8. emt1 macrumors 65816

You'd have to reformat the drive with disk utility. You'll lose all of the data on the drive doing this.

9. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

All right. Thank you for your help.