Time Machine & Partitions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swwack91, Dec 23, 2007.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to get a 1TB drive for Time Machine and some extra storage. I want to partition the drive so that Time Machine doesn't consume the entire thing. This is my question:

I'm going to use the 2nd partition for some Final Cut scratch disk space and the 1st partition for Time Machine. For something that's performance intensive like capturing video, will Time Machine interrupt it by backing up during a video capture?

Because the drive only has 1 spindle, I don't want it being interrupted by a Time Machine backup causing a dropped frame and a bad video capture.

Does Time Machine realize when not to interrupt a drive?

2. santangelo macrumors regular

TM will do the back-up once an hour no matter whats happening on the drive.

3. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok well does an hour backup put a big enough strain on the drive & CPU to interrupt a video capture?

the drive i'm getting is a FW800 drive and is much better equipped to capture video than my current USB external drive... i just don't want time machine to tax the drive.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd be inclined to turn off TM when you're working with video...

5. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

would it really make that big a difference? and if i turned off TM ... when i turn it back on will it back everything that changed since it went off? or is that like lost time?

6. santangelo macrumors regular

just turn TM while ur working. Or get 2 drives.

After the first back-up the back-ups aren't that intensive on the hard drive as long as there hasn't been any big changes on your system.

7. rhyndu macrumors regular

It will back up everything that has happened since you last backed up when it does backup. Why not get two 512GB Disks if you are so worried?

8. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

b/c 1TB is a lot less expensive.

9. rhyndu macrumors regular

Goes to show how little I know about the HD market :eek:

I don't think it should cause you any problems, though. You might want to consider streaming the video to your internal HD first and then copying it over to your 1TB drive. :apple:

10. tricil macrumors member

I am doing a very similar thing, but with 500GB and Audio instead of video.

~233 is Time Machine
    and
    ~233 is for all things Audio... Peak and Ableton scratch disk, Sample Libraries, and, when not making tracks, my iTunes Library

I'm using a FreeAgent pro with both eSATA and USB... however my eSATA controller card is a blasted Sil3132 chipset with _NO_ Leopard Support Yet...

but, in doing initial tests with USB a Time Machine backup does not cause any glitching... in fact, if your source files your working with at the moment are saving to your scratch partition, TM won't bother with it (as it can not backup a different partition on a disk)

Hope this helps.

11. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

that's exactly what i wanted to hear. thanks a lot man.