Time Machine Performance Impact

Discussion in 'macOS' started by R1ch, Oct 30, 2007.

1. R1ch macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what type of performance impact having Time Machine switched on has? Does it noticeably make for a slower Mac?

I think Time Machine is brilliant and making for some very long faces at Microsoft wishing they had thought of such a great, easy to understand method for doing backups.

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Very very little performance impact. If you have a really slow machine or you are doing something really crazy, you can always disable it during that time.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Very little impact for myself. Even during the initial backup. I am only dealing with 35 GB of local used storage.

One thing I have not tried is having a couple of virtualization images on my local drive. Everytime I go into Windows or Linux, it probably will try to copy that 5 GB to 15 GB image to the backup drive because it was changed. I think I would make that folder excluded from the backup and do those manually.

Side topic: I probably not the typical Apple user. Another limitation is that I have several 500 GB data drives that I have to manually backup to a spare 500 GB drive. Time Machine seems to be designed for local storage backup. I plan to use the free rsync command that ships with Leopard to handle my external drive backup needs. I wish Time Machine could handle all my backup and restore needs.