Time machine permission problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by big_malk, Oct 6, 2009.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

My hard drive recently died, sonie replaced it and done a clean install of Snow Leopard. I've tried copying things from my time machine backup, by dragging from finder and thru the time machine software, but apparently I don't have permission any more :(
    the GarageBand folder in my home folder won't copy with error 'You don't have permission...', but my iTunes folder and another folder in ~/music just dies at the preparing stage, with no error at all.
    How can I get my music back? :(

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Restore your data with Migration Assistant. Time Machines problem is that files that it backups don't really exist in backup HD so you can't just drag them, you need TM to do its magics and open the files for you

3. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't want to restore everything, I wanted a clean start and to just copy back files I'll need. When I open time machine and choose the previous TM disk I've been using it's magic able to restore certain things, such as a few pictures in my user/picture folder, but the process just died also after a couple of images.

4. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Incase anyone else comes across this looking for a solution, I've found one here, not ideal, but it works.

Using the terminal:
    Code:
    cp -R source "destination"
    Copies everything over without permissions problems.