Time Machine - PLEASE help - last-ditch attempt

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drexl73, Dec 15, 2008.

1. drexl73 macrumors newbie

Apologies if this is the wrong place to be asking this. I'm brand new to the forums, and to Macs, if truth be told.

Recently my Hard Drive just stopped working. I had to take it to the Apple Store and get it replaced - it was under warranty - and this was fine, I now have a new HDD. BUT I have no data. The last Time Machine backup was August (my own stupid fault), but every time I try and locate all my old data, I simply cant access it. It just seems to have disappeared.

When I backed up, it definitely ran a complete back-up, and everything was successful - or so it said.

I had over 100 GBs of music and 1000s of photos, but these appear to be nowhere in sight on the TM Backup. What's more, the amount of space being taken up on the disk is only about 16GB??

It looks like it has only backed up the Applications folder - but it definitely backed up the whole machine when I ran it back in August, of that I'm sure.

I didn't realise (again) that it would have to reformat my external HDD to Mac file system to do this - I thought TM just back up files and took and image copy of the current hard drive.

So, if I HAVE lost all my data - and it looks that way - I'm guessing there is no way of accessing the rest of my hard drive again on any machine other than a Mac, now it's clearly been formatted with the Mac file system?

I really hope someone can help. Thanks for listening to my ramblings. I'm at a loss.

2. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

Don't worry, if it backed up everything it should still be there. Open Migration Assistant in /Applications/Utilities and tell it to import data from an attached Time Machine drive.. that should work.

Edit: If it says that only 16 gigabytes are taken up, maybe it didn't actually back up everything.

3. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

i agree, it SHOULD be there, and you should be able to restore to that backup with migration assistant. but if its only 16GB's, it might not be.\

as far as viewing drive contents on another computer (besides a mac), i would recommend using HFSExplorer. I use it to view files on my timemachine volume from my pc all the time. its free, and can be downloaded here:
    http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/index2.html

4. drexl73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both very much for your kind assistance, much appreciated.

5. drexl73 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK - so that didn't work - but thanks for the advice. When using Migration Assistant it says that File Vault users cannot be transferred, and I suspect I was using FireVault when I backed up last. Is there any way around this? I guess this will be my last try before I have to reformat and start again from scratch :-(