Time Machine points to wrong data

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chesspiece, Mar 29, 2012.

1. chesspiece macrumors newbie

I recently bought a new Mac Mini to replace my aging PowerMac G5. My plan was to utilize the PowerMac as a file server to the Mini. There were numerous problems during the installation and migration process and, in the confusion, I moved my Powermac external backup disk (firewire attached) from the PowerMac to the new mini. My PowerMac recognized the backup disk over ethernet and started backing up to it. It created a sparse bundle and did another full backup, while I wasn't paying attention. I then moved the backup disk over to the PowerMac again. However, now it will only recognize the sparse bundle backup and not the previous two years of good data in the old backups.backupdb. How do I get Time Machine to revert to the old backups?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I would delete the sparsebundle, and delete the com.apple.timemachine.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/. Then, open System Preferences, go to Time Machine, and set the disk again. It should (key word there) recognize the previous backups.

Also, you can simply click on the Time Machine menu icon and choose "Browse Other Backup Disks…" to access those backups, but you do lose the integration with other apps if it doesn't reassociate. I suspect that the above procedure will work though, although I can't be certain.

jW