Time Machine POSSIBLY hogging internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RexLego, Feb 19, 2014.

1. RexLego macrumors newbie

So these past few months, around 19 days in on each month, my ISP emails me saying i'm at 90% of my 500GB plan. There are 5 people using my internet, and as followed i will tell what each one of them does.

My wife watches movies, but these past few months i haven't seen her doing much of it, other then that she "tweets" and stuff.

I use my laptop for work, and am rarely at the house and more at work, so im never connected to the internet.

My son plays a lot of video games, and watches a lot of youtube, and sometimes movies.

And recently, my two daughters were grounded so they do not have either one of there electronics, and the only two people using the internet is my wife and son. I'm curious if the Time Machine has been noted to hog internet? Meaning it can take a file or application from the time machine and constantly refresh it, making it cause internet usage? Or if that's not the case, can anyone tell me what the issue COULD be? I know for a fact that my son and my wife can't cause my 500GB internet plan to be full within 19 days.

Thanks, Don

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm fairly sure that Time Machine does not access the internet at all. Everything it does is either on a connected drive or over the local network.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Is your router secured? If not someone else may be using it and consuming your bandwidth. You might want to consider a router that provides more control over bandwidth used or can track usage. Somebody is using your bandwidth and you need to find who.