Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Here's the story:

I have a MBP (the one in my sig) and I use a 320 GB firewire HD for Time Machine. That has been working dandy for about a month. Now yesterday I picked up a G4 Powermac and put a fresh Tiger install on it, ran the updates, etc. I turn on file sharing and screen sharing and all that fun jazz. I then proceed to hook it up via ethernet to my router and to hook up my external HD to it. I can access the external drive and share the screen of the G4 and everything seems cool. Then I pray that time machine will work remotely.... and that prayer was not answered my friends :(. It mounts on my MBP's desktop and TM looks like it's gonna do it's thing and then it says that the backup image cannot be created. I already tried doing the "unsupported volumes defaults hack" in the terminal to no avail. Any suggestions?

nomar383

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Rexburg, ID
Ha! Nevermind, I just tried to copy a movie from that external drive to my MBP and it was estimating 45 minutes, so it looks like the external won't be gettin hooked up that that Powermac after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.