Time Machine problem - DiskWarrior or just wipe & start over?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by owen-b, Dec 23, 2008.

1. owen-b macrumors 6502a

Hi folks,

I'm on one of the first aluminium iMacs, Leopard 10.5.6, and having a bit of a problem with my 1TB WD MyBook Time Machine.

It recently started giving me the 'unable to backup' error message quite frequently and then I had a couple of power outages that I suspect corrupted something because the other day the backup started 'preparing' and never stopped. I also experienced system freezes, the dock crashing, applications refusing to quit, all while this 'preparing' was taking place.

I booted off the Leopard system disc to run disc utility and it found all sorts of problems with the Time Machine disc that it was unable to repair so I booted up Disk Warrior and it's been running Stage 5 (locating directory data) for almost 18 hours. I just googled and found people saying it had taken almost a week with no success or end in sight on their 1TB drive (different manufacturer though).

My iMac hard drive is currently fine (gave it the Disk Utility once over while I had the chance) so I'm wondering - could I just cancel the Disk Warrior process then use Disk Utility to completely wipe and zero the Time Machine, then start over completely afresh? If any damage to the Time Machine currently is just directory problems caused by corrupted backups or something, will all that get erased by the re-format?

I'm naturally nervous about leaving myself without any backed-up data for the duration of the reformat but don't appear to have a choice at the moment. I'm going to be investing in a Drobo and reverting to SuperDuper for bootable clones as soon as I can...

Cheers all, and merry Christmas if you're into that sort of thing! ;)

Owen

2. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

And if not you should be :p

3. AlienSexGod macrumors member

AlienSexGod

I guess you have made a decision by now.

But since the above response sucked in case anyone is reading I would recommend erase and zero all data to check the WD drive then reset up TM.

Back up the most important stuff to another HD too just in case the internal goes down whilst reformatting