Time Machine problem.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by disasterdrone, Feb 2, 2014.

1. disasterdrone, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

disasterdrone macrumors 6502

Since upgrading to Mavericks I have been unable to complete a time machine backup.
    I have a clean install, backing up to a directly connected freshly formatted USB drive with twice the capacity needed.
    The backup with apparently complete, but then go into a second 'pass', where instead of correctly estimating the amount to back up it will continuously revise the amounts, e.g.
    20mb of 80mb, then 40mb of 120mg, etc, continuously climbing, while saying it has seconds remaining.

Here are my recent logs (Achilles is an SSD, Tortoise is a spinning disk).
    Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Starting automatic backup
    Backing up to /dev/disk5: /Volumes/2tb portables/Backups.backupdb
    Forcing deep traversal on source: "Achiles" (device: /dev/disk0s2 mount: '/' fsUUID: 45F81C62-0E42-37FE-A796-CCA9DCF36641 eventDBUUID: 694C0ED1-1C0C-4B31-8487-CEEBD3D513D0)
    Deep event scan at path:/ reason:must scan subdirs|require scan|
    Finished scan
    Not using file event preflight for Achiles
    Will copy (Zero KB) from Tortoise
    Found 944042 files (64.43 GB) needing backup
    83.68 GB required (including padding), 998.32 GB available
    Error -35 while resolving alias to backup target
    Copied 49.65 GB of 64.43 GB, 923695 of 944042 items
    Copied 944042 items (54.79 GB) from volume Achiles. Linked 0.
    Copied 1 items (Zero KB) from volume Tortoise. Linked 19.
    Will copy (13.2 MB) from Tortoise
    Found 944048 files (64.45 GB) needing backup
    84.67 GB required (including padding), 939.68 GB available
    Copied 12.67 GB of 64.45 GB, 207426 of 944048 items

Update - after several hours just completed a backup. At the hourly re-backup, it's started again, gradually increasing what it wants to backup, to what is looking like it will be the whole contents again...

So looking again at the new logs, it looks like the issue is to do with the ssd:
    Deep event scan at path:/ reason:must scan subdirs|require scan|
    Finished scan
    Will copy (Zero KB) from Tortoise
    Found 944052 files (65.22 GB) needing backup
    86.27 GB required (including padding), 936.22 GB available
    It looks like TM is copying the whole of the OS drive every time, but working correctly for the spinning drive.

Any ideas? Thanks!

2. paulfilm.ltd macrumors newbie

I have the same problem but with Snow Leopard. I initially cloned my boot disk to a SSD (computer is a Mac Pro 1,1). After cloning (using SuperDuper!) I replaced the boot drive with the SSD and fired up the computer, all was well. Where the issues started appearing was with the Time Machine Backup, it did a full back up of the new SSD drive which was fine, it completed in a reasonable amount of time but thereafter any subsequent backups too forever for miniscule amounts of data, we're talking KBs and MBs here not GBs of data.

I assumed maybe there was an issue with the TM drive so I formatted the TM backup drive and basically set it up as a new backup and let it run for the initial which again completed but any automatic backups or manual initiated by me after took forever.

So as an experiment, I took the SSD out and put the original HDD boot disk in, it started up fine, and the backups ran fine without issue. So I tried formatting the SSD and cloning AGAIN and I let it run overnight as it wanted to backup 120GB of data from the bootdisk, it seemed to finish fine, because in the morning TM read most recent backup as 3:40am (I'm up at 5am to go to work) but at that moment it was backing up 5.1MB and was at XXKB of 5.1MB and was not moving at all, I assume if I left it, it probably would have finished eventually but that is just way too slow and not normal. I have TRIM enabled on the SSD and my system flies with it installed but not being able to back it up worries me. Right now all I can think of is going back to booting from the old HDD or if I want to stick with the SSD, I will have to exclude the SSD boot drive from the backup (I have 2 other spinning HDDs that are backed up but those always finish fine). So if anyone has any ideas...please, HELP!