Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Time Machine was saying there was no room on the external drive, though there was plenty of room (1.21 gigs available on 2 gig drive). I had had this same problem a while ago and Apple Help told me a way to reset time machine, but I couldn't remember how to do it. I thought it involved turning Time Machine off and trashing the plist (prefs) file for time machine and restarting. I did that, and it fixed the problem. It ran for a few minutes and completed the backup as awlays. But now the backup only goes to yesterday, when the problem arose with TIme Machine.

Anybody know if those older backups still exist, and if there's a way to have Time Machine see that?

thanks.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

try this : in Finder, do : Cmd + Shift + c, then enter Time Machine : do you see the previous backups ?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Time Machine was saying there was no room on the external drive, though there was plenty of room (1.21 gigs available on 2 gig drive). I had had this same problem a while ago and Apple Help told me a way to reset time machine, but I couldn't remember how to do it. I thought it involved turning Time Machine off and trashing the plist (prefs) file for time machine and restarting. I did that, and it fixed the problem. It ran for a few minutes and completed the backup as awlays. But now the backup only goes to yesterday, when the problem arose with TIme Machine.

Anybody know if those older backups still exist, and if there's a way to have Time Machine see that?

thanks.

Sounds like you are after this process to reset Time Machine.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Thanks! Yup that's exactly the page I followed, but the full backup history isn't there in time machine. It only goes back to the time when it started having trouble yesterday. I'm thinking it's still on the external drive, but time machine isn't seeing it for some reason.

Sounds like you are after this process to reset Time Machine.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Ah okay. That brings up a search window. Are you saying search on the external drive??

Hi,

try this : in Finder, do : Cmd + Shift + c, then enter Time Machine : do you see the previous backups ?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks! Yup that's exactly the page I followed, but the full backup history isn't there in time machine. It only goes back to the time when it started having trouble yesterday. I'm thinking it's still on the external drive, but time machine isn't seeing it for some reason.

Try this. Open Finder and in Devices on the left select your machine then double click Macintosh HD to get to my screenshot.

VA39QRe.png

Now open the Time Machine interface and see if you can navigate further back.

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
Sorry not following. Open the time machine interface?? In the Finder? Do you mean open the drive that has the time machine backup file folder on it maybe?

Edit: did you mean open time machine itself, with that window open. If so, yes I did that and it only goes back to yesterday afternoon.

Try this. Open Finder and in Devices on the left select your machine then double click Macintosh HD to get to my screenshot.

Now open the Time Machine interface and see if you can navigate further back.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry not following. Open the time machine interface?? In the Finder? Do you mean open the drive that has the time machine backup file folder on it maybe?

Edit: did you mean open time machine itself, with that window open. If so, yes I did that and it only goes back to yesterday afternoon.

I mean after getting in that Finder folder open the time Machine Star field interface. Sounds like that did not work though. :confused:

Soundhound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
What is the 'time machine star field interface'??
:confused:

Edit: just realized what you mean. Right I open time machine but can only go back to yesterday.

I mean after getting in that Finder folder open the time Machine Star field interface. Sounds like that did not work though. :confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What is the 'time machine star field interface'??
:confused:

Edit: just realized what you mean. Right I open time machine but can only go back to yesterday.

I just thought of something. You say last time this happened you went through that plist delete and Time Machine reset and it fixed it yes?

You are on Mavericks now and were not before I suspect? Read this.

Mavericks now caches plist files, so if you change or delete a plist the change does not take because the cached plist replaces the modified one. So in your case you need to turn off Time Machine and go through that reset process involving deleting the plist. Then reboot to flush out the plist cache. Then after that turn Time Machine back on to create the new plist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.