Time Machine Problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by completeidiot23, Feb 9, 2010.

1. completeidiot23 macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I'm having some problem with my Time Machine. When I restore a folder thats full of other folders, and files. Time Machine just restores the top level folder without it's contents.

And sometimes when I restore a single file, it asks for my admin password.

I've repaired permissions across both my external HD and my internal one.

I've re-installed, and restored the OS, from a back-up.

Problem is that, Time Machine works fine for other accounts.

Please help.

Thanks

2. completeidiot23 thread starter macrumors member

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I saw your post earlier and while it caught my eye, I have never experienced password issues with Time Machine except to enter the disk password for the Time Capsule I'm using. Passwords during restore? First of all, I never go in that animated movie based "Enter Time Machine" low budget sci fi show looking for my files. I browse to the sparse bundle, right click and pick show contents then browse to the files I want and simply copy them and paste them to whatever destination I have in mind. I should add that this is an "expert mode" way of getting things out of a TM backup and you have to be careful not to change anything in the sparsebundle or TM might quit working correctly.

When a problem seems isolated to one account, it's a good idea to repair disk permissions. Reinstalling an OS is a blunt force trauma way of fixing things. I do it because OS X makes it so easy. But sometimes its killing a fly with a bazooka and other times, like yours, it doesn't really fix anything.

4. completeidiot23 thread starter macrumors member

its weird i've re-installed, and restored from a back-up. its still there.

It doesn't do it on other accounts

5. AmazingRuss macrumors newbie

Same problem here. I reset the permissions on my entire home folder, and still, when I select a folder in Time Machine and hit restore, it just restores the folder and no contents. I can SEE the files in the folder in time machine, but it won't restore them. I guess it's trying to keep them safe from me or something.

6. AmazingRuss macrumors newbie

Well, I got it to restore the folder by going into the console and copying it with cp, so there's not permissions problem there. Something must be broken in Time Machine.

Scary.