Time Machine problems started after a repair

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MoncoZero, Jul 24, 2008.

1. MoncoZero macrumors member

Any advice on getting Time Machine to work again would be appreciated.

Currently Time Machine gives me the error "The backup volume could not be found".
    -However the "My Book" drive does appear on my desktop.
    -Also, in the Time Machine program it tells me that 96.9 GB of 465.6 GB are available on the "My Book" drive.
    -In the past I have only used this drive for Time Machine backups on this same computer with no problems.

This problem first occurred after I got it back from being repaired (16 days after my warranty expired for free!)
    -The service description lists two items: SVC,PCBA,MLB,2.4GHZ and DSPL,15.4 WXGA+,LED BL,AG,LG (Which I've learned are the logic board and the display)

Any ideas? Is there any other info you need to figure this out?

Thanks

2. 99turbo macrumors newbie

Solution to Time Machine Problem after Logic Board Replacement

I had a display and logic board replaced and encountered the same (or a similar) problem. Called Apple Care and they told me that I would need to reformat my backup drive and start again. :confused: Didn't seem like a good fix to me!

Fortunately, I found the following link. Read the entire thread, including all the suggestions to improve the fix. Confused me more than anything, but it did make it clear that the MAC address of the new logic board was the source of the problem.

I decided to try the intial proposed fix a the top of the thread. It solved the problem.

I mentioned this problem to my local Apple Store Genius and he said that some of the Geniuses were discussing this behavior on a conference call. They might have a better solution, but at least you'll have one suggestion from the thread below.

Of course, YMMV and I'm just a hack at this anyway. Good luck!

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080128003716101

3. MoncoZero thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

This seems to be exactly what I was looking for. :D