Time Machine problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ramw5p, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ramw5p macrumors member

Hi everyone. My HDD is 500gb, my backup disk is 500gb, but it only will go through time machine 3-4 times then says there isn't enough room on backup disk. I have to erase the entire backup disk for it to work. WHy? Isn't it supposed to erase old backups as it goes, thus making room for new backups? Thanks for any advice.

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version do you have, and how much data do you have on your internal HDD, that is backed up to the TM HDD?

To find out, where you hard drive capacity is being used on the TM backup HDD, you can use the following free applications:
    Maybe try a combination of several, if you still can't find the "missing" capacity.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See the Backup drive fills up section of the following link:

Mac 101: Time Machine

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not really going to help him when the backup is supposed to delete old backups to make room for new ones.

This just repeats what he already said in his OP. He doesn't understand why his old backups aren't being deleted to make room for new backups. The link states this is supposed to happen.

5. ramw5p thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replays

Using lion, MBP HDD has 410gb used. Says there is 53gb free on tmhdd.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're right. I had several tabs open and grabbed the wrong one without reading closely enough. Not enough coffee! :)

Hopefully, these will be more helpful:

"The backup disk is full" or ". . . almost full" or "This backup is too large . . ."
    Should I delete old backups? If so, How?