Time Machine Problems.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by acearchie, Jun 3, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Every time the time machine tries to back up I get this message (see 1st Pic)

I dont know what to do since the drive on my computer is 500gb as is the computer...

I also have a 1TB WD MyBook with nothing on it.

What are your suggestions?

The second screen shows it preparing for a long time before I get the failure message.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I don't understand. You have a 500GB backup device and a 500GB internal? and a 1TB mybook?

Use the 1TB for time machine???

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well, Its my dads set up really I dont know much about it as he keeps it in an awful state.

But really I need to fix the time machine as he needs the mybook.

I was suggesting it if data needed to be moved etc.

I would like to not lose the current back up on the time machine?

This isn't really that easy because I dont want to fiddle with my dad's files.

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I'm sorry, I really don't understand you. Take your time and try to itemise exactly what is happening or what you want to do.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok well starting again.

Why isn't the time machine working? It is 500GB and the drive is 500GB.

Is there a way to fix this without erasing a previous backup?

Thanks

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I had the same problem. NO matter what I did the same thing came up as you. I even reformatted the HDD for time machine. That worked until it filled up again and I was only backing up new stuff after the first full back up. So than I tried Carbon Copy as it is free. I had the exact same problem. I bought SuperDuper and I have had NO problems since...

7. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

It looks as if you're trying to backup more than your internal drive to your external. The sceenshot says 512.4 GB. In the Time Machine preferences, click on Options and exclude the stuff you don't want to backup.

8. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

Yes it does appear your are trying to pack a closet into a lunch box..:D From your previous posts you said you have a 1TB drive that you can use? You also mentioned can you move your current backup.. right? I have used Superduper the free version to clone my time machine backup to a larger drive and it worked out fine.

9. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Ok so my dad is good with macs but not the brightest person and I have found the cause of all his hard drive space going!

He managed to copy 3 of his previous systems to his mac hard drive!

As you can see they are fairly large files! Is there anyway I can add these back to the time machine so they are usable? Which one should I pick to put back and how do i do it?

Thanks

Attached Files:

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well, Previous System folders aren't really "usable" in the fact that you can't boot up from them. Personally, I would just glance through them and see if there's anything you actually need in them. If not, trash 'em.

11. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

This.

12. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

No but is there any way I can return them to the time machine so they are functional?

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you would want to make damn sure that you dont have 3 copies on the time machine backup. you would also want to ensure that there is at least one system folder in the disk image backup - so that when you restore it it works properly!!