Time Machine Q

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by emericana, Sep 20, 2009.

1. emericana macrumors newbie

Currently I am running a 15" MBP with a 2.2ghz intel processor 2ghz ram 128mb video ram etc. i purchased this notebook 2 years ago or so (actually on the date that leopard was released).

I purchased snow leopard a month a go (or whenever it was released), and put the operating system on the computer. Since doing this, my computer has been unbareably slow. the os which was supposed to speed up my computer, has made it slower than i could even imagine. horrendous. the computer was noticeably slower with snow leopard on it from the second the install was done.

my question.

i need to reinstall snow leopard. i have a time machine backup. if i wipe the harddrive, put snow leopard on the computer, and then restore my time machine backup, will my computer still be slow? does time machine back up all of the system files (i'd imagine some memory managemnt file or something isnt working too hot in my system right now) or just my application data, music, movies, and user preferences? i have so many customized settings and apps that it would take me literally days if i just wiped the harddrive and installed everything without help from something like time machine.

any thoughts?

2. Mycatisbigfoot macrumors regular

you're computer will still be slow as its just a coppy of the os you have, I would back up you apps and you're home folder and just clean install and then move you, music,movies,pictures, documents and apps back, and get a clean install that way. you may lose you're etting for porgrams but it should make the mac faster