Time Machine Question - 2 Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by frogboy2727, Dec 22, 2008.

1. frogboy2727 macrumors newbie

I've recently purchased one new MacBook Pro unibody and one new Macbook unibody. I've got the MacBook Pro all set up, with all my app's, options, prefs, iTunes, iPhoto. I'd like to copy, the entire MacBook Pro "image", onto the Macbook. If I use the Migration Assistant, should I (just) connect the two Macs together?? Or, should I copy off of a TM (external HD) ??

Secondly ... Saying that this migration is all complete. If I go into the MacBook "get info". Will it have the MacBook Pro information, or will it have the MacBook information?? I have no problems using the same account names, but, I would like the individual Macs, to have their correct laptop "descriptions".

Thanks ...

2. alFR macrumors 68020

I don't think you can just copy the MBP drive image onto the MacBook and expect it to work - the drivers etc. will be different. You can sync some of what you describe using MobileMe and you can sync your files using something like rsync (or its GUI cousin, Chronosync) but as far as apps etc. go I think you'll need to install them separately on each system.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Just use migration assistant to connect the two computers. If you want the new one to have all the stuff the old one has, don't choose anything to ignore. It will not all the sudden make you MBP say it is a MB. The migration assistant only copies over everything new; like apps and settings and documents. It doesn't replace the OS or crucial system files. It's really a pretty simple process.

4. frogboy2727 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I understand correctly, Migration Assistant does not "bring over" the OS. On the new Macbook, I'm also installing a new HD. On the new MacBook (after installing the new hard drive), should I install the new OS, complete all OS/Apps updates, THEN use the Migration Assistant??

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'm not sure you need to do all the App updates before doing the Migration, but I would recommend updating the OS because there have been updates to the Migration Assistant that might be crucial.