Time Machine question and backups

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iFalcon, Dec 6, 2010.

1. iFalcon macrumors regular

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question. We are a PC to Mac convert and still trying to understand some basics.

We have an iMac 21.5 and expecting delivery of a external 1.5 TD drive. More than we'll even need, but dirt cheap.

We also run Windows 7 64 bit through VMware Fusion. The only reason for that is the Windows version of Quicken is a better product the the Mac version.

We will back up pics, Videos, etc on the iMac under MacOs with Time Machine. Can Time Machine also backup the quicken data files from the Windows 7 VM machine?

I hoping we do not need to maintain seperate backup drives to manage the different type of file formats between Windows and Mac. I hoping this can be managed through one place...Time Machine.

I appreciate the help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will backup the VM as it does not require its own partition (just a file in your HD). If you used Boot Camp, then it wouldn't.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Time Machine will back up not the Quicken data files inside the virtual machine, but rather the virtual machine in its entirety (which, as the poster above me said, is just a large file on your hard drive). The size of this file depends on how much data the VM contains, assuming you're using dynamically-growing storage (which is the default).

4. iFalcon thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. Maybe the 1.5 TB drive will get used.