Time Machine Question copying a backup to another HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OverSpun, Jul 9, 2011.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I have-

(2) 2TB Ext. drives
    (1) 500GB Ext.Drive (I carry it in my laptop bag)

I am looking to copy/paste my time machine data on the 500GB drive on one of the Large drives since I noticed that I couldn't drag the time machine, but is there a way to safely do this?

My reason is-

I have an important backups on the 500gb drive, but that drive is nearly filled, but I'd prefer saving it in one of the larger drives.

Thanks In Advance-

2. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Those look great, thanks. For my usage only copying the time machine partition to another drive; which of these 2 applications would be the best?

3. simsaladimbamba

Both will do the job fine, but I prefer CarbonCopyCloner for its usage (it is even free).

4. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Great, now I have another issue before I can even use CCC..

I couldn't figure how my 1.5TB and a 2.0TB drives and somehow they claim that they have nearly 1/20% of free space, but I cannot figure it since I am sure that I only had 600gb in one of them, and Its too strange to understand this. I checked it with Disk Utility and it says its "OK" but, This is ridiculous.

The 1.5TB drive claims it only has 236gb left, and I hadn't even filled half of it.

I must have the most ridiculous issues with external drives. =/

5. simsaladimbamba

6. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I will definitely look at diskinventory X, but disk utility is verifying for one of the partitions and somehow its raising its calculation since it first said 4min, and I come back 5 minutes later, and now its stuck on 9min.

I was using this drive with 3 partitions. #1 Part for data, #2 My mac mini's time machine, and #3 for my macbook pro.

It is very odd for me and this never happened before. Im just afraid losing data since I doubled it into my 2TB so i wouldnt lose anything.

And now, after looking back 10 minutes since it got stuck on 9min, and its not moving at all.