Time Machine question, fresh install Mavericks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by InsideTJ, May 20, 2014.

1. InsideTJ macrumors regular

Relatively new mac user here. My 2012 Macbook Air SSD has died (per the genius). I ordered a replacement kit 240gb from Amazon and it is being delivered today.

I already have a USB recovery disc created (via my mini) and ready to install.

I use a Synology NAS as a time machine backup. I also have all critical documents backed up manually since I started having SSD issues.

Last time I re-installed Mavericks, I changed my computer name and was not able to 'see' my time machine backups via the TM app. I assumed this was due to the computer name change. This time I'll use the last computer name. Should this allow me to see my TM backups?

Honestly, I don't really need anything from my TM backups. My plan is to NOT restore from a TM backup, but do a fresh install. But I would like to have access to my TM archives just in case.

Any tips/tricks to this?

2. afinelion macrumors newbie

afinelion

I haven't run into this issue with Time Machine, so I'm not able to advise. But as a side note, have you considered the drive warranty from the manufacturer? You may be able to get a refurbished one to sell elsewhere. Many have 5 year warranties.