Time Machine Question from a Newb

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raf66, Oct 13, 2009.

1. raf66 macrumors regular

Good morning. I'm a relatively new Mac user (10 months or so) and before yesterday had no external hard drive connected to my iMac (upgraded to Snow Leopard). The fear of losing family photos, music collection, important docs, etc. in a computer crash finally prompted me to purchase a 320 GB firewire hard drive from Verbatim.

My question will probably illustrate my newbness but I'm wondering if there's anything more I need to do besides just plugging it in. After doing so last night I was happy to see that everything appeared to backup to the new hard drive via Time Machine and it did so pretty quickly (thanks firewire). Will Time Machine take care of everything for me from here on out? Do I need to schedule it to do backups? Does Time Machine backup both the every day files on my computer (docs, photos, music) and the system files?

Thanks for your assistance.

2. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Nothing else for you to do, Time Machine will take care of the rest. Also, no scheduling to be done--actually don't have any option, TM will do incremental backups on an hourly basis. And unless you specify specific folders that should not be backed up, it'll back up everything.

3. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

4. durhamj macrumors member

I am also a newbie, so please forgive.... but your post begs the question. "Is the TM Backup drive bootable??". :confused: I didn't think it was, so for my backup scheme I went with Super-Duper to a bootable FW drive. I figured if the internal HD died, or had major problems, I could try booting from the FW drive and restore the internal drive.

5. devburke Guest

The Time Machine drive isn’t bootable. But you can do a full system restore from it. When you insert the OS X installation disc, it will give you an option to restore from a Time Machine backup. So while you won’t be able to instantly just say to boot from the backup drive if yours fails, you will still be able to restore things to completely how they were before, once you get a new hard drive.

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I believe it's not possible to boot from the back-up, however when you install a new drive you can boot with the Leopard install disc and select "restore from time machine" which will place all your files back and even settings. It will be like you never installed a new drive.

P.s some people say it wont restore contacts, iCal or mail. I don't know this. Could be true or false.

Edit: I see your answer was already answered. Well you can't beat a keyboard with an iPod touch.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Nothing else to do as far as Time machine is concerned. It will run every hour and backup any changes. When the disk fills up it will remove the oldest data to make room for newer data. So the length of the history it keeps depends on the size of the disk and so on.

Anything else you should do? YES. Get another backup system to run in addition to Time Machine. Because Time Machine is no help at all if the data is lost due to any of the following

• A fire
    • Theft of equipment
    • A power surge caused by lightening striking a utility pole a few miles away
    • An error in Apple's software

(The last two actually happened to people on this forum in just the last week. They are all more common then you might think.)

Any of the above will take out both the primary disk and the Time Machine disk. Keep a couple more copies of the data, one of them in an off site location.

8. devburke Guest

Those people would be wrong. I’ve done full restores from Time Machine, and it restored all of those things. You can actually see for yourself that Time Machine backs up Address Book contacts and Mail by launching Time Machine when you’re in either of those programs. Time Machine will launch with the app’s window, rather than a Finder window. Works for iPhoto too.

9. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

ChrisA, I hear you on the other ways you need a backup protection plan. I'm trying out the free version of Drop Box and it's working well so far.

10. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Time machine works great, it backs up all files except the ones you set permissions to not do, of course. All the backing up works automatically. I pair a 1.5TB Seagate with my iMac (I have it partitioned though. 900GB = Time machine, 600GB = regular external HDD).

Something you may want to also invest in is a fireproof safe. When I'm not home for longer then a day, or simply do not need it I stick it in the safe in case anything is to happen....