Time Machine question (I have searched for answer)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iGrant, Dec 12, 2008.

1. iGrant macrumors 6502a

OK,

This might seem like a dumb question, but is there a way to backup Time Machine's hard drive? For example could I backup the Time Machine drive to DVD etc?

Thanks
    iGrant

2. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Time Machine isn't a hard drive unless you mean Time Capsule. Regardless, why in the world would you backup a backup? Also, with DVDs holding only 4.7 gigs of data, this seems like a waste of money to me. Anyway, I don't think this is possible.

3. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok let me clarify because I know that. You turn on Time Machine in System Preferences and choose a hard drive to use as the Time Machine Drive to back up your data too. I don't care what brand you buy, any hard drive can fail, so if the drive you have selected for Time Machine fails, then you lose all your backups made through Time Machine.

Other than running a RAID setup with two hard drives (which I want to say is RAID 1 off the top of my head), I was wondering if there was any other way to backup that information. I know a DVD is only 4.7Gb but with Toast for example if can burn across multiple discs with span. I was just wondering if anyone had tried doing that?

Thanks
    iGrant

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

If toast doesn't pay attention to file types or continuity and has the ability to take a file larger than 4.7 GB and span it across multiple disks then there is no physical reason it couldn't do the same to your TM backup disk. Now whether or not the software exists to do such a transfer is a completely different story. Every HD is just a collection of ones and zeros in a certain order and should be able to be placed on any equivalent sized media or span enough of the media with the right software to reassemble.

If you have Toast, a couple equivalent sized backup drives and a bunch of DVDs you don't mind making into coasters, then I don't see how it could hurt to try...

You could hazard an attempt with one spare drive and 8-9 GB of data to see if it works and then if that works go ahead on the larger backup/drive.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Have you considered just using your Mac's HD as the Time Machine backup?

I'm with OrangeCuse44 on this one - if your Mac's HD is working, that's a viable backup for your Time Machine drive. If your Time Machine drive fails, simply replace it and make a new backup from your Mac.

Or am I missing something?

6. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Right. It seems like you are preparing for a disaster of such ridiculous odds that this isn't worth it. If your external AND internal drives fail at the same time, I'll help you buy a new one.

7. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see what you are saying, the only problem being you would lose all the history, lets say if you change a file, etc. I do see what you mean. I guess that I have just had too many drives fail on my recently to be confident in them . . .

-iGrant

8. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

HAHAHAH ok thanks :-D.

-iGrant

9. jrmt macrumors newbie

Use two Time Machine backups

Just buy another USB/Firewire disk, and configure it with Time Machine. You can use multiple hard-disks with Time Machine -- you just have to change which disk you're using in Preferences. It will then backup any changes since you last used that disk.

10. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wish Time Machine could just do two drives at the same time, that would be soooo nice. Hey Jrmt thanks for the idea, never thought about doing it that way!!!

-iGrant

11. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

Why not get 2 identical usb/firewire drives and use disk utility to make them into a RAID1 Mirror? if one fails the other other one still going.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's your best option. You could also use a different backup utility to backup the Time Machine drive to another hard drive, but then you run into needing even more space on that other drive.

I think it's a non-issue for most, and for anyone who really needs that much redundancy you should be using a RAID system.

jW

13. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

For backing up a single computer, I agree that it may be a bit overkill. Granted, dealing with mission critical, there is a level of peace of mind that this may bring.

If you are backing up multiple computers with this, then it isn't a bad idea.

I would say that if you are looking for robust backups, a third type of backup is best - preferably offsite. Like an internet backup or backing up to media and keeping it at a different location. This would protect you in case of fire, theft, etc.

14. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Yeah I agree. I use Mozy Backup for my most important files (can't use it for my entire drive since I have slow upload speed). It's safe to know that I'd most likely be able to recover my data in case of a fire for example.

By the way, at least here in sweden HDDs are cheaper per gigabyte than quality DVDs. So I don't see any reason to use DVDs for large backups.

15. iGrant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am going to setup a RAID system. I just order this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817347021

I plan on putting two identical drives in it run as RAID 1. I agree with everyone that yeah it might be a bit overkill but my first kid is due any day and I just really don't want to loose any of the photos that I am going to take.

Before when I lost photos that I took, I was upset but they weren't major or anything, the ones I really wanted I backed up.

I think I am going to do a RAID 1 system for Time Machine plus weekly DVD backups of the all the content since DVDs are really not that expensive. Its all really for just piece of mind.

-iGrant

16. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

Personally. I don't think that you are being too paranoid. backups are only as reliable as the media that you are storing it to. And in my opinion, especially when being used on a frequent basis, hard drives are not 100% reliable.

If it were me, and I have several times & for several people, I would highly recommend a drobo. Yes it is a fair amount more money. But it is a better long term solution that can grow with you. If you start with just 2 drives it mirrors them. As you add a third and fourth drive, it uses a raid5 like protection.

the great thing is you do not need to use identical drives. And again, as you add more drives it will grow with you.

just my 2¢