Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Saladsamurai, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

I am wondering: I recall that while using migration assistant to move my old Mac to the new one, it gave me optons such as "Everything," "Data Only," "Applications." Or something to that effect. Is there any way to only bring over one single application? For example, one I my college friends and I split a family license of Office. We have since gone in our separate directions and I no longer have the disk.

I would like to bring over Office from my other Mac. But I don't want to do a full "applications" migration since the last time I did this, some nasty permissions type things occurred. Is there an easy way to do this? Even if it is not using Time machine.

Thanks!

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Technically if you're no longer in the same residence, the family license doesn't cover you. Alas, it is against the rules to ask for help in circumventing licenses.

But, you could contact your friend and ask if he still has the disc, or you could ask him to divest you.

3. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, the family licensing rule states that residents must live in the same household. But if one member is off to college, but primarily resides in the same household, then this does not violate the licensing agreement. So let us assume that this is the case, since I read the rules upon registration, and carry on with the discussion.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

But I (and you) know this isn't really the case. That provision applies to situations where a family has one child go off to college. The child's permanent "home" is still his parents'.

In your case, friends got together, bought a license, and then separated. The use was valid while you were all roommates, but now that you've all moved apart (I assume permanently or at least for a very long period), you can't be considered one household.