Time Machine question.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by applechicka, Oct 1, 2010.

1. applechicka macrumors newbie

hello all new to macs and had a quick question. i just bought an 80g SSD intel. and i love it so far. anyways i bought an enclosure and put my old 500g hd in it so i could use it for a backup or if this SSD crashed or something. anyways on the HD i have bootcamp with windows 7 loaded.. which i dont need anymore and the other partition is os X. anyways i have it hooked up. would it be possible to use time machine to back up to where bootcamp is on that partition? it says im going to erase that partition or w/e. anyways id appreciate any help. if u need to know anything else i can include more info. ty!!

-allison

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if so then use Disk Utility to set your external to have one partition by selecting the disk on the side and selecting Volume Scheme: 1 and then click apply under the Partition tab. then set Time Machine to use it for backup and it will be formatted.

also you could probably transfer your Windows install to a partition on your SSD using an app called Winclone if you want before you erase it.

and you say anyways a lot :D

3. applechicka thread starter macrumors newbie

well tbh idk how much room i need for time machine to back up... lol i was just going to use the windows partition. is there a way to make a new partition? id really like more info. btw sry i do say anyways alot =D

-allison

ps if u have aim or something id like to chat more about this.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sorry i dont have AIM just use Facebook chat or Live mainly. about to go offline anyways.

transferring your Windows install was just a suggestion. probably makes it more complicated dw if you dont need it anymore.

its very, very simple to format a drive, just harder to explain, so ill list the steps. this will erase everything on your drive

- in Disk Utility click your external drive in the sidebar, like 500 GB … whatever (you will see the two partitions below it)
    - click the Partition tab to the right and select Volume Scheme: 1 partition and Format: Mac OS Extended
    - check GUID Partition Table is selected in options
    - click apply

then you can select your external from Time Machine preferences to use as a backup and it will tell you if it needs to be formatted.