Time Machine Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samcraig, Jan 24, 2011.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

So I am new to Time Machine - and I fully understand its use, etc

Question though...

Say I have a 640 gig HD backed up via time machine.

Say I have 500 gigs of that HD used

Say 20 gigs is a edited video file.

Now say I re-edit the video and use the same name.

When time machine does it's thing I assume it just copies the changes.. so would that mean that my 500 gig backup is now 520 gigs as it will save the new version/retain an earlier one?

If so - If I change a lot of video files - the odds in me filling up the external quickly are high, right? I know ultimately Time Machine will remove older versions (older backups). But it this correct as I've laid it out?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you are editing large files then yes it will use large amounts of memory. You may be better suited to using something like Carbon Copy Cloner.

3. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

STRIDEMAT is correct on this... Time machine isnt great for HUGE files... its better for lots of small ones.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Thanks... am I reading this correctly - CCC is "free" ? If so - that's pretty sweet

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. Free and it works great!

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

One more question (forgetting which takes longer)

My wife is considering going Mac on her next purchase. I currently have an iMac with a good amount of applications.

Will either program be ok (I'm assuming CCC is "best" for this) but will TM be ok if we decide to give her my current iMac and I take the new iMac and just restore from a TM or CCC backup?

I would prefer not to break out all the discs, registration #s, etc for all the software and literally just "copy" over the drive with a back up.

Thanks for the additional info...

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Not sure, but you should be able to use Migration Assistant to bring all your stuff from the clone to the new Mac.