time machine question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Mar 18, 2011.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

I have an HDD connected to an airport extreme via usb. Just wondering what is the fastest way to do the first backup? I would imagine via ethernet but is there an issue afterwards when you do the incremental backup via wireless and TM doesn't find the backup HDD?

TIA

2. simsaladimbamba

As the USB speed is somehow limited to around 10MB/s on an external HDD connected to the AEBS via USB, it doesn't matter, what you choose to do the first backup with. You could even connect the HDD to your Mac directly via USB and do the first big backup that way, and then connect the HDD to the AEBS and let the following backups be done via W-LAN. It doesn't matter to the Time Machine what interface has been used.

Time Machine FAQ

3. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Are u sure about doing the first backup direct via USB???

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, I even did try connecting the TM backup I had that day (originally created via USB and Firewire transfers) to the AEBS I bought once to see if it works. But I found the USB speed abysmal and stuck to connecting the HDD to the Mac directly. But that was over a year ago, maybe things have changed.