Time Machine question

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by stevenpa, Aug 18, 2011.

1. stevenpa macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure the answer is on this forum, just can't find it via search.

Question is if I set up Time Machine, will I be use the backups to restore just a single file? So it would be like using the disk like a standard external.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes, you can. But it isn't like using a standard external, you go through the TimeMachine GUI.

3. stevenpa thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks. Yeah I know it'd be going through Time Machine, just wanted to make sure I had this feature. Always just used externals in the past but without the Lion drive on physical hardware, I'd like to have it set up to be able to restore quickly in case of any problems.

4. basher macrumors 6502

basher

In the TM interface you can even spotlightbsearch for files to restore.

5. Foogoofish macrumors regular

Foogoofish

Why not partition your backup disk? Then you can have a section for Time Machine (over 2x your internal HDD size), and a section to use as a normal external hard drive. They even show up as two normal different drives for ease of use.

6. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Nah. That's not really useful unless the OP is going to install Mac OS X on the other partition. Once you start using backup, there will be file created in the drive, and everything else will be stored inside. If you want to store something like 50GB of home movies and bunch of other files, you can just use it like a normal external HDD.

Plus, you never know when the Time Machine partition, or the free space, will run out of space, and the other one doesn't.

7. Foogoofish macrumors regular

Foogoofish

I agree with you, but if you keep the two separate then you are less likely to run into problems on the time machine partition / delete something important (the file) by accident if you select all without thinking. I guess I am just optimistic that my 320Gb MBP HDD will not fill 1.2TB of ExtHDD anytime soon!

8. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

another time machine question

If my mail app (mac mail) is not completely closed / running in background and I "enter time machine", I see that time machine opens by displaying my mail account / app. I can't seem to access my other files on time machine unless I completely close the mail app and re-enter time machine.

Is this normal?

thanks

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Doesn't seem normal to me. As long as a Finder window has the focus, that should be what TimeMachine starts with.

10. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Yeah, it doesn't seem "normal" or logical to me either but maybe this is by design?? (for whatever reason). Try entering time machine while your mac mail app is open . . strange.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

OK, I just did. If Mail has focus ("Mail" in the menu bar) then Time Machine opens on Mail. If Finder has focus then TimeMachine opens on Finder. If programs not supported by time machine have focus then TimeMachine opens on the Desktop in Finder. Nothing unusual there.

12. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

That makes sense . . thanks talmy