Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I have a new MacBook pro(with Lion). I used the time machine backup of my old MacBook pro(with snow leopard) to restore all my stuff.

It worked well.

The new MacBook pro has the same user account name as the old machine.

The question I have has to do with using time machine with the new MacBook pro.

When I set up time machine on the new machine what will happen on the time machine drive?

Will it keep the old backups from the old machine. Or since both machines have the same name will it overwrite the old backups

Thanks. .

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Will backups for the old Mac be deleted as backups for the new Mac fill up the time machine drive?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Will backups for the old Mac be deleted as backups for the new Mac fill up the time machine drive?

No. Assuming you have enough room on the drive for the old backup plus the new backup, this will just leave less room for versions of the new backup. So when the drive gets close to full it will start deleting old version of the new backup sooner since their is less space available on the drive.

pasadian

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
Pasadena
Time Machine Window

The Time Machine Window is not reverting back to it's original size in os x 10.7.2 lion. It only works in Lion's mail, any suggestions? Before on the left and After leaving TM on the right.

Attachments

• BEFORE.png
    BEFORE.png
    222.7 KB · Views: 71
  • AFTER.png
    AFTER.png
    197 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.