Time Machine question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v2club, Dec 15, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I've heard that Time Machine keeps everything as it is: all the settings; all the mail including sent, drafts and deleted mails; the bookmarks, the browsing history, the saved passwords and the auto fill information, documents, app, music, videos etc. So if I reinstall and recover from Time Machine it will be like I've never reinstalled. So is that truth or not quite?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are correct. If you reinstall and restore from a Time Machine backup you will be right back where you started.

Why are you reinstalling?

3. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not, I was just wandering whether I'm completely safe only with Time Machine backup or I should export my mail, make a note of the bookmarks and passwords etc.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ah... got it. Yep you are safe. It backs up everything.

Just as a second level of backup what I do is one a month or so I export iCal, Address Book, and bookmarks and save those three files to Dropbox for safekeeping. I figure if the place burns down with my Time Machine backup I would at least have that.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

This is a good idea.

6. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Put it to you this way. I had a my MBP for about 6 months, and transferred everything from my other computer to it, so it had a TON of info on it. One day it the screen started doing some weird things, so I backed up with Time Machine, took it to the Apple store, and they gave me a brand new replacement on the spot.

I took the new machine home, restored it with Time Machine and a prayer. After about 45 minutes, it booted up and it was like I had never swapped out computers. If you sat down and didn't know it was a new computer, you'd never notice.