Time Machine Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Delighted, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

SO I am going to give Lion another try. My first experience with it was laggy and system freezing. I have never used time machine before so I have a few questions.

After I back my current system on time machine I will download the OS X Lion installer, then install Lion. After all is done, and Lion turns out to have the same slow performance. Do I just use my Snow Leopard DVD and reinstall snow leopard, then during the migration assistant, I plug in my Time Machine hard drive and just simply migrate everything back? Besides the files, does it also migrate the settings? and remove the stuff I removed in my previous SL install(iLife)?

Please leave a comment if you need any kind of clarification. This is my first experience with Time Machine, I've read about it before but never actually used it.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

This is not the way I've done it. I use SuperDuper! (or CarbonCopyCloner if you prefer) to clone my internal drive to an external. Wipe and (clean) install Lion, and either play with the virgin installation or use Migration Assistant to import from the external drive. (My experience with an upgrade install of Lion over Snow Leopard was problematic in two of the four systems I upgraded.)

If I wanted to go back I'd just boot from the external drive and restore the internal to match the external.

3. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

I have heard of those software and have done some research on them, but my problem is that I am not incredibly tech savvy. Does the method I mentioned above have some disadvantages over the way that you mentions?

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The Migration Utility doesn't restore everything, I've discovered. By cloning the disk an exact copy is saved (and restored). You would never know that you temporarily had Lion on the system.