Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

binarymelon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
I'm wondering how time machine reacts to moved files (on the same volume). Am I going to get duplicate copies. I'm hoping to consolidate the files in my iTunes Library and don't want to fill my time machine drive.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You will get duplicate files. That's why it's good to have a Time Machine drive that's larger than the disk being backed up.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
You'll get duplicates because there's no way for Time Machine to know if the files are moved or copies - a good thing if you happen to have files in various locations with no connection whatsoever aside from having the same name.

That's why it's good to have a Time Machine drive that's larger than the disk being backed up.

If you don't though (or the drive isn't that much larger), you can go into Time Machine preferences to prevent the backup of specific folders. Also, enter Time machine and delete all of the backups of the old-now-duplicate files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.