Time Machine question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whoathere, Oct 7, 2012.

1. whoathere macrumors 6502

whoathere

Here's my situation: I used a Time Machine drive connect to an AEBS for a while. When I moved/upgraded to ML I also added a MBP to the set up (before it was just my imac). So, I partitioned the 1TB drive into 2 halves, one for each machine.

Since the move/upgrade to ML, I've had all sorts of issues with the drive not showing up in Finder/Time Machine not starting. So, I connected the USB 1TB drive to my iMac and backed up to it. That won't be an issue. My question is, is there a way to back up to the drive now from my MBP, now that it's USB connected to my iMac?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

There was never any need to partition the drive. Multiple Macs can back up to the same partition. I have 3 Macs backing up to a single partition on a 1.5 TB external drive mounted on a 1st gen TC. If you connect the drive to your machine by USB, you might have better luck if you "start over" with a fresh backup rather than trying to continue using the backup you started over the network. In fact I find this happens more often than it should. It seems that Time Machine gets "tired" of its backup destination about once every year or two and I have to start over, losing all old versions of files but I don't care about old versions anyway.