Time Machine question....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ifti, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

I currently backup to external discs using SuperDuper for a bootable image, and then backing up my documents manually.

If I start using Tima Machine, I do not need such regular backups on an hourly basis etc. A weekly backup is fine for me and i dont mind doing this manually.

Can I simply enable Time Machine, do a backup, then disable it again - whenever I want to create a backup?
    Will this cause any problems?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

As mentioned... you can do as you wish. My general advice is that any human intervention (or required actions) for backup is generally a bad idea. You are generally best off by setting up an automatic process and let it run forever.

Backup programs alert you if any human intervention is required.

/Jim

4. Bear macrumors G3

Actually you can leave Time Machine switched off (after the initial setu and backup) and just select "Back Up Now" from Time Machine in the menu bar when you want to do a backup.

5. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

100% agree, but my home documents dont change so often to be honest, and this would be for a new MBA11 which would be used more for couch surfing etc, so doesnt need such a strict backup regime.

This is the solution I was after! Perfect. Thanks!

6. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Then Time Machine won't do a backup, if you don't change anything then TM just checks and sleeps for 60mins, takes a few secs. You won't even notice.