Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

case2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch with Mountain Lion. I have been using Time Machine for the last 6 months. My wife has just given me my Christmas present of a MacBook Air 13". I have done a migration from to my MacBook Air which went perfect.

My question pertains to still using my 15" MacBook Pro and the 13"Air. I still want to use the same hard drive I was using for my Time Machine Backups. But I want to make certain the MacBook Pro's backups are separate from my Airs. How would I go about this? I would also preferably like to keep the previeous 6 months of MacBook Pro retina backups.

Thanks for your help....

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
I would use Disk Utility to create a new partition on the backup drive and tell Time Machine on the new MacBook Air to use the new partition as it's backup disk. The MacBook Pro should continue to work with it's Time Machine database on the original partition.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch with Mountain Lion. I have been using Time Machine for the last 6 months. My wife has just given me my Christmas present of a MacBook Air 13". I have done a migration from to my MacBook Air which went perfect.

My question pertains to still using my 15" MacBook Pro and the 13"Air. I still want to use the same hard drive I was using for my Time Machine Backups. But I want to make certain the MacBook Pro's backups are separate from my Airs. How would I go about this? I would also preferably like to keep the previeous 6 months of MacBook Pro retina backups.

Thanks for your help....

Maybe give this page a read:

http://pondini.org/TM/33.html

case2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Ok,
Just to close this thread. I plugged in my new MacBook Air to the hard drive. TimeMachine immediately noticed my new Air and asked if I wanted use my retina MBP TimeMachine Backup or start a new TimeMachine backup.

I selected start a new TimeMachineBackup and it immediately backed up my Air independent of the retina MBP Backup.

Great!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.